“Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.”
It’s very much the same with leadership. There’s the naturals, the grafters and those that simply had no choice but to step up.
So what are the attributes of these different leaders, what can we learn from them, and most importantly, what can we apply to our own management talent?
So what do great leaders do?
They understand and demonstrate the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership:
1. Model the Way: Leaders clarify values by finding their voice and affirming shared ideals, and they set the example by aligning their actions with shared values.
2. Inspire a Shared Vision: Leaders envision the future by imagining exciting and enabling possibilities, and they enlist others in a common vision by appealing to shared aspirations.
3. Challenge the Process: Leaders search for opportunities by seizing the initiative and looking outward for innovative ways to improve, and they experiment and take risks by constantly generating small wins and learning from mistakes.
4. Enable Others to Act: Leaders foster collaboration by building trust and facilitating relationships, and they strengthen others by increasing self-determination and developing competence.
5. Encourage the Heart: Leaders recognise contributions by showing appreciation for individual excellence, and they celebrate values and victories by creating a spirit of community.
You too can learn the attributes of great leadership on our 2016 Leadership Retreat programme. This is an intensive nine-day programme, spread over 6 months that will challenge your thinking and help you discover the art of great leadership. With 7 clearly defined modules followed by a 360-degree assessment and supported by fortnightly coaching, you will soon find yourself and your business reaping the rewards.
The Leadership 360
Get to know yourself before you even start, this trusted report is recognised as a powerful strategic business tool, highlighting your opportunities to grow, develop, and be seen as a leader by your team.
The Seven Modules
1. The Leadership Challenge: This course is designed to enhance your personal leadership style. You will see how the best leaders apply their knowledge, skills and influence to achieve tangible results in rapidly changing environments. This three-day retreat starts your leadership journey and helps you discover how the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership can impact the performance of your business.
2. Advanced Coaching: Discover the key techniques and methods a great coach uses to influence behaviours, transform individual performance, delegate responsibility, improve capabilities and deliver results.
3. The Road to There: The market place is constantly changing and in order to thrive, a business must understand and anticipate the trends and forces that may shape its future. This unique workshop shows you how to develop a short or long-term destination and a road-map for getting there.
4. Values and Vision: Learn the importance values play in the work place, providing the framework to ensure your team work in harmony towards a shared vision, and creating a culture that is visible to your staff and customers alike.
5. Strategy Development: Successful business strategy lies not in having all the right answers, but rather in asking the right questions. In this module you will discover how to develop winning strategies, aligned to your values and your vision.
6. Mindful Leadership: Mindful Leadership is about recognising that your leadership is in service to others. It’s about creating the space in your life to cultivate self-awareness and compassion, and leading with authenticity in a way that inspires others. Learn how mindfulness can transform our own lives, our workforce and our results.
7. Culture and team development: Every organisation, small or large, has a culture. The culture refers to the values and attitudes of its employees. A healthy culture values each and every employee in the organisation, ensuring they work in harmony to continually improve performance. This workshop will help you to define your culture, and engage your team to live, breathe and protect it.
Attendees will be able to:
- Identify their leadership strengths and weaknesses
- Clarify and communicate their fundamental values and beliefs
- Set the example for others by aligning their actions with shared values
- Express their image of the future.
- Inspire others to share a common vision
- Search for opportunities to change and improve
- Experiment with innovative ideas and learn from accompanying mistakes
- Build collaboration, teamwork, and trust
- Strengthen the ability of others to excel
- Recognise the accomplishments of others
- Apply the lessons learned in the workshop to a current organisation
“Without doubt the most thought provoking course I have ever attended”
Guy Foster – Managing Director, Newmans Suzuki
For more great testimonials from the many companies we work with click here.
Stoke Rochford Hall
Housed in a superb Victorian country mansion and set within formal landscaped gardens and 28 acres of stunning natural parkland, Stoke Rochford Hall is the perfect location for our Leadership Retreat. The spacious and well- appointed conference facilities create a relaxed and comfortable environment that will enhance your learning experience.
Hill Holt Wood
Occupying a tranquil position within ancient woodland, Hill Holt Wood is our other carefully chosen location. The unique rammed earth conference hall benefits from beautiful natural light with its warm ambience during winter months and a refreshing cool atmosphere in the summer, creating a relaxed and pleasant learning environment. The 34 acres of woodland also provides the ideal setting for some of the outdoor and team building exercises, all of which are supported and facilitated by a team of experienced rangers.